Sunday, June 10, 2012

Tee to Tank Refashion

While in Asheville for "Asheville Beer Week" my husband, Reed, and I met Erik Lars Myers, from Mystery Brewery. Reed likes to follow his blog, Top Fermented. He's recently started and opened his own brewery. He was a super nice guy, and it was great to talk with him about his life's passion - BEER. On our last night in town, we were able to sample his beer at a tasting. Very tasty stuff. Right when we were getting ready to leave he came over and handed us free (awesome) t-shirts from Mystery Brewing as a thank's for coming up all the way from Florida. I decided to do a little refashion and turn mine into a tank top. Check out the before and after! I'm very happy with how it turned out.


Here's how I did it. 

BEFORE - Front & scrap of black tshirt


BEFORE - Back 


Start by cutting off the sleeves


Determine the neck line you want and cut. I started by cutting the back scoop first. Then I flipped the shirt over and carefully cut the front making sure not to snip the back of the shirt. 



I wanted to add a little detail to the back. So I measured, marked and cut where I wanted the detail to go. Make sure to account for your seem allowance before you cut :) I drew a dotted line where I wanted my detail to go and then measured 1/2" and drew a solid line to cut on. 


Then using the scrap black fabric I had, I cut out 2 rectangles for my detail piece. I made them bigger than needed and trimmed after I they were sewed on. 



Trim detail piece.


I knew I would add a taper to the shirt so I went ahead and cut up each side seem of the shirt. Then I trimmed off 3" from the base so I could add a black band around the bottom.


Using the scrap tshirt I had, I cut out 2 rectangle pieces. Then pinned them on and stitched one to the front piece of the shirt and one to the back piece of the shirt.


After all the pieces have been assembled, pin shirt front and back with right sides together. Use the pins to create your taper side seems. I tried the shirt on to determine where the pins needed to go. 


I serged all the cut edges. If you don't have a serger, you can zig-zag stitch over the edges.


Lastly, I ironed, pinned then stitched the arm, neck, and bottom edges. If you have a rolled hem foot you can use that as well. 


Transformation complete! 
Here's my new refashioned tank, perfect for the Florida's hot summer weather. 


No comments:

Post a Comment