Monday, June 11, 2012

Spent Grains & Dog Bones


In celebration of Zoey's 3rd birthday we're having a party! Time to get in the kitchen and make some birthday treats. I love to use spent grains from Reed's brewing to make baked goods (there's actually a loaf of bread baking in the oven right now). Luckily for me, he just brewed yesterday and saved some grains. I could only find one recipe for spent grain dog biscuits online and while they sounded good they were boring. So I came up with my own. 

Organic Peanut Butter, Carrot & Blueberry Spent Grain Cookies.  
Recipe below.

I can't believe it's been 3 years already. Look how small Zoey was when we first got her at 6 weeks old :) 



MY RECIPE

2 cups Spent Grains
1 cup Organic Whole Wheat Flour
1 Egg (Local from Free Range Chickens)
1/2 cup Organic Creamy Peanut Butter
1/4 cup Organic Carrots, Chopped
1/4 cup Organic Blueberries, Cut in half

Mix all ingredients except the blueberries until combined



Gently mix in the blueberries


Grease cookie sheet
I used Refined (instead of Unrefined) Organic Coconut Oil because it has a high heat point of 365 degrees


Pat dough into 1-2" rounds approximately 1/4" thick


Our dog birthday party was today so I wanted to make some extra special bone shaped cookies. I rolled out some of the dough and used a bone cookie cutter for a few cookies.


Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Reduce oven to 225 degrees and continue baking for 1.5 - 2 hours. This dries out the cookies so they become harder.

Party Time!







No comments:

Post a Comment